(⌐■_■)

MAY YOUR HAMMER BE MIGHTY

Are you in a band or do you shred radical gnar?
Get your pictures or music featured on Goon Squad Forever by sending your content to submissions.goonsquad@gmail.com

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ESCUCHALE



This isn't exactly a new song, but I was checking some notes I had taken on post-its and this was a video link I had saved. Awhile back in April I was able to catch Flying Lotus at Coachella and boy let me tell ya, it was an unforgettable show. I had previously heard of FlyLo and even had a few of his tracks, but nothing compared to the collection I have now.

Reading up on the guy I found that he is the nephew of Alice Coltrane, a famous jazz musician. FlyLo is also one of the founding fathers of a club in LA called Low End Theory. Some of my favorite musicians like The Gaslamp killer, Samiyam, Nosaj Thing, Daedelus, Shlohmo, and others often pay their dues and bring the house down for whoever cares to stop by for an incredible show. Attending a famous low end theory event has been on my to-do list for a long time and now I'm moving to top priority when I return to the states.


Back to FlyLo... He's been biannually releasing a new album beginning with 1983 in 2006 and more often remains out of sight, but not out of earshot. If you haven't heard his music yet, play the video above. If you watch adult swim, you're likely to have heard his talent in action as FlyLo is responsible for some of the music during these screens. I recommend you get a hold of both the Cosmogramma and Los Angeles albums first. After you decide you like him and his music reminds you of a retro futuristic scene, take a look at his recent work Kill Your Co-workers .

In addition to FlyLo's music is amazing videography (which can be seen above) and artwork. Theo Jemison's stuff which is the cover art for Cosmogramma captures the essence of what FlyLo seems to be trying to produce musically. They are both independent works, but complement each other as if they were made side by side. Watch the video below and listen to that album to understand what I'm talking about.



If you're still not interested in this guy, god save you and you're missing out. I'm looking forward to some incredible releases by FlyLo in 2011 and hoping he'll slay out in Coachella if he's back in the lineup. I'm starving.

PEACE

-gonz

ps. here are a few of my favs from each of the albums...

1983 1983

Los Angeles Golden Diva

Cosmogramma Dance of the Pseudo Nymph

BONUS

Robo Tussin

No comments:

Post a Comment